[Avodah] R Lakish Looking Daggers upon RE

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:54:25 PST 2022

It seems that this was not a Lomdishe Kasheh,

Evaluating what determines reliable evidence that one is a Cohen is a
Shikul HaDaAs and may well hinge upon knowing the mood and tone of the
community - how particular are the Gabbaim to determine that the Oleh is a
Cohen before giving him an Aliyah?
Probably something like what we have today with the reputation of K
agencies being determined by - I am not sure what to say. And likely one
would have a similar Broigez if as a guest at a Rov's house asks another
guest "Is this fellow providing reliable Kashrus? You know I am Makpid."
and the Rov can lip-read

BTW I heard Rav Z Smith in a Shiur he gave about Chumros, that a student
who questioned the Kashrus of some biscuits offered by Rebetzin Kotler, Reb
A's Rebetzin, was told by Reb A that his Chutzpah warrants that he be put
in Cherem.

A Lomdishe Kasheh would indeed be better evaluated without being dazzled by
who asked the Q or said the Sevara.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837