[Avodah] "borrow" another's tallit or tfilin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 29 13:21:46 PST 2022

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 10:50:36PM -0500, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The shulchan aruch allows one to "borrow" another's tallit or tfilin on the
> assumption that one would be happy to have another do a mitzvah with his
> property.
> Questions: What if you have past history which might indicate this might
> not be a good assumption? ...

See the Arukh haShulchan OC 637:5 (from yesterday's Arukh haShulchan Yomi
http://aishdas.org/ahs-yomi ) about using someone else's sukkah without
asking.

The Taz says we assume that ("ustama kein hu") people are okay with your
using their sukkah to fulfil a mitzvah when it is unoccupied.
But not if he does care ("im maqpid") or he is using his sukkah already,
as "mistama" he would care about others joining him when he's eating.

(Maybe we are worried they're too polite to say they're bothered?)

Either way, notice when it comes to sukkah, we the rule only applies if
we don't have reason to believe the owner would object.

Micha Berger                 Integrity is choosing to practice our values
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   rather than simply professing them.
Author: Widen Your Tent                  - Brene Brown
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF