[Avodah] why believe at all

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 11:30:15 PST 2022

>From my discussion (with a wavering  friend) of a recent book :

In the post modern times that we live you can’t prove anything to anybody (
like Ramban – no slam dunk proofs in Gemara commentary)
Perhaps the best we can hope for is weight of evidence, but if we hang our
hopes on the incredible wisdom of Torah proof, we should be aware that
there are others selling other  incredible wisdom as well. I wish I had a
better answer, but this is a subset of the "why believe at all" issue. I
often think about Rav Lichtenstein’s piece on the source of faith being
faith itself. The challenge is that if you don’t have that "loving feeling"
yourself, somebody else articulating it to you is not necessarily
communicable unless you can do the Vulcan Mind Meld. I wish I had answers.

KT
Joel Rich