[Avodah] Tamar and Yehudah - The Missing Markers

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:08:00 PST 2022

Thank you Rabbi Lampel.

Indeed there is a Medrash that Tamar could not locate Yehudah's passport
and drivers licence.
She only found them when she was already obviously with child for all to
see and be humiliated and condemned.

However, this does not answer our Q.
Actually, it suggests that her strategy was to do exactly as we asked, to
prove to Y, early on, that he was the father, or at least that he had been
with her, and from there to be married to Sheilo and thus all remains
dignified.
This makes sense otherwise she was putting herself in danger as she likely
knew the consequence of being discovered to be with child out of wedlock.
Unless we assert that she thought it was highly unlikely that she would be
from that event, as Chazal say women do not fall pregnant on the first.

Neverthelss, our Q remains - Why did she not send Y a message as soon as
she realised she was with child, even without the actual evidence, she
could describe when they met, where they met, what he promised to give her,
and what he left as a security and either disclose she is with child or
not, probably yes in order to make Y realise that a decision must be made
ASAP if they wish to remain dignified.

Could you please explain your comment, word would get out - she would have
been able to tell Yehuda he accomplished the yibum, //word would get out//,
and all would be fine.
Would it not be preferable that word NOT get out?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837