[Avodah] Ben PeKuAh - is there an Issue ReViAh?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 27 12:11:01 PST 2022

On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 11:47:08AM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> Furthermore, aside from all the 'normal' food prohibitions that it
> sidesteps, it may be harnessed to and interbred with other animals -
> including bestiality, or is at least suspected of being exempt from these
> prohibitions.
>
> Tosafot [s.v. lime'utei 74b] explain that although the prohibition of cross
> breeding applies even to a beheimah that is about to but has not yet
> expired,
> nevertheless, we might suspect that it does not apply to the ben pekuah
> which is an even lesser status and for this reason the Gemara must clarify
> that it is prohibited.

Is all of this relevent once Chazal were finished making gezeiros
mishum cheshash and/or mar'is ayin?

Last time I looked at ben paqua, most things (e.g. shechitah) were
required derabbanan anyway.

What's left that they weren't gozerim on?

Micha Berger                 You are not a human being in search
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   of a spiritual experience. You are a
Author: Widen Your Tent      spiritual being immersed in a human
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    experience. - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin