[Avodah] Conditions upon a gett

Motti Yarchinai motti.yarchinai at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 20 15:30:44 PST 2022

David Riceman thinks I was obscuring details in my original post on this subject and he says he did not see a link in my post. I was not obscuring anything, and if the link did not appear for you, then there must be something wrong with either the email client you are using to read incoming emails or with the way the Avodah listserver is handling the links. In the copy I received of Avodah Digest Volume 40, Issue 83, the link appears exactly as I sent it. It is in paragraph 3 of my post, which I will copy again here. It reads:

For details of this see this webpage devoted to this issue, which has, over the last two weeks, become a hot topic of discussion on social media in the country concerned. (If the above link does not work for you on first attempt, close the browser tab and try a second time.)

The first sentence of that paragraph reproduced above, begins "For details of this see this webpage devoted to the issue, " and the link was attached the words "this webpage." In case the link is being stripped out by the listserve software, it points to this web-address, which you will have to edit appropriately:  tiny [dot] cc/mbd  and the reason I suggested to try again a second time if clicking the link doesn't work on first try has to do with an occasional problem that sometimes occurs with the server on which my website is hosted. That is beyond my control; it is to do with my webhosting provider. That webpage contains the full text of the condition that is in the Melbourne Beth Din's gett-application form and it also contains two links to the form containing the the condition. The first link is to the form on the website of the Melbourne Beth Din, and the second link is to a copy of the form that I put on my website, to preserve it in its current form in case the Beth Din changes it, in which case my comments on it would be referring to a different version from the one on the beth din's website.
On the second night of Hanukah, I was informed that the beth din will be removing that clause from its gett-application form. Yesterday, I appended an update to that webpage about that new information.
Motti