[Avodah] hirhur kdibur?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 17 06:03:14 PST 2022

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 07:07:42AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> When you add to the shmoneh esrai, do you articulate words or just think
> thoughts? (eg do you actually say the words, "please send a refuah shleimah
> for Avraham ben Sarah", or do you simply think those words or about that
> individual??

Say. (Answering "do YOU actually" literally, telling you what I actually
do, not arguing shitos.)

There are suggested coinages for asking for refu'ah or for aiding someone
in doing teshuvah. And with children who have chronic medical issues and
others who are OTD, I say each pretty often. But their existence implies
that however it is you ask -- whether some acharon's suggestion or what
you're moved to say "off-the-cuff" -- it involves articulated words.

Micha Berger                 You are where your thoughts are.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp           - Ramban, Igeres haQodesh, Ch. 5
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF