[Avodah] Why are women exempt from positive time-bound mitzvot? Is this a matter of identity?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 16 13:24:17 PST 2022

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 02:43:12PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> I have heard often that women are exempt for positive time-bound mitzvas,
> because they are busy taking care of their family...

Except that there are as many exceptions and compliances to the rule.
Even beyond things like the mitzvos asei of Shabbos, which are mandatory
for women by comparison to the lavin of Shabbos (zakhor veshamor bedibur
echad).

No Sukkah, but Matzah -- af hein hayu be'oso heneis. And for that reason
Chazal obligated them in Megillah and Neiros Chanukah.

The Rambam says binyan BHMQ is only during the day, but women are still
mechuyavos.

Meanwhile teaching Torah and therefore also learning it are not for a
specific time and yet women are still peturos.

There are complete lists by R Prof Michael J. Broyde at
https://bit.ly/3EhzlrP or
https://thelehrhaus.com/timely-thoughts/why-are-women-obligated-in-some-time-bound-positive-commandments-and-exempt-from-others-a-new-theory/

RSR Hirsch distinguishes between mitzvos like Pesach which are about
ideas cherished at home, and those like Sukkos where the point is going
beyond the home. And that there is a second clause to the MASG exemption
-- it doesn't apply to mitzvos that go beyond the home. Related: kol
keduah bas melekh penimah and traditional gender roles.

I am starting to think that maybe there is a difference based on the
word gerama, and maybe we should open the door to the whole discussion
of taamei hamitzvos and rituals in general.

What is the difference between saying a mitzvah has a given time, and
saying that time is goreim?

Could it be that there are different roles for ritual mitzvos -- perhaps
some are more symbolic, others more experiential / perception setting,
and others... And the concept of shehazman gerama only applies to those
rituals that serve a given role, and therefore have a particular kind
of link to time?

As I said, I am just starting to think about it... Input and batting
the idea around eagerly invited.

Micha Berger                 We look forward to the time
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   when the power to love
Author: Widen Your Tent      will replace the love of power.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF              - William Ewart Gladstone