[Avodah] Rav Schwab on the Role of Woman

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Oct 23 08:58:58 PDT 2022

Western civilizations' notion that women play second fiddle or have
an inferior role to men is refuted by this statement of Adam, who
understood that his wife was to be perfectly matched to him, equal to
him in importance.

kol kivuda bas melech pnema -The Jewish daughter is a bas melech; she is a
princess, and her glory reigns inside. Binoseinu k'saviyos, sings the mshorar in
Tehillim (144:12), our daughters are in the corners, michutavos tavnes hachel , yet
carved in the format of the Beis Hamikdash.

Sarah Schenirer a"h told the Jewish daughters of the royalty, the
nobility of the Jewish woman. Jewish women are capable of reaching the
highest madreigah, heights of ruach hakodesh and even nevuah. To them
is entrusted the task of bringing up the Jewish child, of raising a new
generation, when the children are yet infants. And to them is entrusted
the shalom bayis of the Jewish family. And when the pasuk says that the
chachmah of a Jewish woman lies in her ability to spin threads, it refers
to the threads which bind together husband and wife, the old generation
and the new. Threading, binding together-that is her chachmah.

Selected Writings, page 327

I wonder how many women today would agree with these statements, even observant women.

Professor Yitzchok Levine