[Avodah] eiva/shalom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 6 17:49:03 PDT 2022

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 06:08:46PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Anyone aware of any detailed analysis comparing the concepts of mishum eiva
> and darkei shalom?

Here are the answers I saw on the FB copy of this question, starting
with my own:

R Aharon Lichtenstein [but I couldn't remember where, so on FB I gave
this summary]:

Mishum eivah is "merely" the importance of keeping hatred out of the
world.

Whereas darkei Shalom is the ultimate - to walk in Hashem's and His
Torah's ways.

Neither means what I was taught in school.

Mishum eivah is why we never have two Kohanim Gedolim. (Megillah 9b)
Also comes up in a discussion of the father owning what his dependent
daughter finds. (Kesuvos 46b-47a) The idiom is used in contexts that
have nothing to do with antisemitism.

And as for darkei Shalom, see this quote from the Rambam. The reason for
darkei Shalom is "tov Hashem lakol" and "vekhol nesivoseha shalom". (I
even capitalize the "S" in "Shalom" because the quote from Tehillim
makes me suspect it is there as Hashen's name.)

[Hebrew elided. Hilkhos Melakhim 10:12:]
    ... Even with regard to idolaters, at our Sages have commanded us to
    visit their sick and bury their dead along with Jewish dead, and
    sustain their poor along with the poor of Israel is for the "sake of
    peace", since it says, "G-d is good to all, and His mercies extend
    upon all his works" (Psalms 145:9) and it says, "her ways are ways
    of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace" (Proverbs 3:17).
    https://www.sefaria.org/Mishneh_Torah,_Kings_and_Wars.10.12

--

There is a Taz

--

Not exactly this, but I think it's a shut shevet halevi where he argues
that dina demalkhuta dina and the issur mesira are inversely proportional

--

Elana Stein Hain as I recall. Possibly also Christine Hayes.

https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/65115?lang=bi

Micha Berger                 Problems are not stop signs,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   they are guidelines.
Author: Widen Your Tent              - Robert H. Schuller
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF