[Avodah] Purim-Holiday of Concealment

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sat Oct 1 17:31:40 PDT 2022

The following is from Rav Schwab on Chumash PARSHAS VAYEILECH.

And I will surely conceal My face on that day. .. (Devarim 31:18)

Rav Schwab gives insight into the following story (Megillah 7b): Rabba and Reb
Zeira shared a Purim feast and became intoxicated. Rabba rose and slaughtered
Reb Zeira. The next day, he prayed for Reb Zeira and revived him. The following
year, Rabba once again invited Reb Zeira to share a Purim feast, but Reb Zeira
refused, saying, "I cannot expect miracles to happen every day."

The Gemara asks (Chullin 139b), "Where does the Torah allude to Esther?"
and answers, "In the words And I will surely conceal My
face." Although the miracle of Purim was a wondrous event that saved the
entire Jewish Nation from annihilation, it was enveloped in natural "occurrences.''
Although Hashem orchestrated the events, His presence was concealed. It is said
that the reason we masquerade on Purim is that Hashem hid His face from Klal
Yisrael; He "wore a mask."

This gives us an insight into the following story (Megillah 7b): Rabba and Reb
Zeira shared a Purim feast and became intoxicated. Rabba rose and slaughtered
Reb Zeira. The next day, he prayed for Reb Zeira and revived him. The following
year, Rabba once again invited Reb Zeira to share a Purim feast, but Reb Zeira
refused, saying, "I cannot expect miracles to happen every day."

The Maharsha points out that one cannot take this story at face value, as our
great rabbis would never behave in such a manner. So what actually took place?

Hashem's concealment is a lofty Torah concept shrouded in Kabbalah, which
can be understood only by the greatest Torah scholars. Only they can understand
how Hashem's concealment does not contradict His omnipresence. If someone who
is not on this lofty level were to enter into this secret realm of thought, he could
be greatly harmed. He could even lose his mind by overexposure to spiritual light
beyond his comprehension. This can be compared to one who gazes at the sun with
his naked eye, thereby blinding himself.

In the aforementioned story, Rabba understood the secret of Hashem's
concealment within the Purim story and revealed this secret to Reh Zeira during
the Purim feast. However, this revelation of matters supernal was beyond Reh Zeira's
ability to absorb, and Reb Zeira lost his mind, lapsing into unconsciousness. Rabba's
disclosure of this secret to his friend who was not ready for such a revelation was
tantamount to slaughtering him. Reb Zeira regained his mental health only after
Rabba prayed for him. When Rabba invited Reb Zeira to join his Purim feast the
following year, he asked, "Did you elevate yourself enough so that you will now
be able to experience this revelation without endangering your life?" Reh Zeira
declined Rabba's invitation, saying, "Once again, a miracle would be necessary to
save me, and I am not permitted to rely on a miracle to save myself again this year."

Professor Yitzchok Levine