[Avodah] Sheqel Kesef

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 22 11:32:06 PDT 2022

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 10:56:04PM +0300, Danny Schoemann via Avodah wrote:
> If coins didn't exist when the Torah was given, and for many centuries
> thereafter, how do we explain the Halocho of Chilul Maaser Sheini?

> It needs a coin for Chilul. Even an Asimon (a blank coin) doesn't qualify.

Is that specific requirement miSinai? Or is it a din derabbanan about
how to be meqayeim the deOraisa? (Question isn't rhetorical.)

Think of all the dinim we have about when to repeat Shemoneh Esrei,
none of which can be deOraisa, even though many hold the obligation of
some sort of daily tefillah is deOraisa.

Micha Berger                 The true measure of a man
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   is how he treats someone
Author: Widen Your Tent      who can do him absolutely no good.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Samuel Johnson