[Avodah] Eating Before Davening

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 20 14:34:52 PDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 04:29:28PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> R' David Riceman asked:
>
> > It's true that several poskim rule that one may drink tea or
> > coffee before davening. I'm unaware of anyone who includes milk
> > or sugar in the leniency.
>
> See
> https://www.halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Eating_Before_Davening#cite_note-5

Which ends by mentioning an AhS I raised on-list in the past.

Despite the chevrah's best efforts, I am not convinced that RYME lumped
together teih and teih matoq. I think sugar was so hard to come by, sweet
tea was considered more than just water. While tea wasn't.

In this particular din, he notes the MB requires drinking tea through
the sugar (yes, volumes 1 & 3 of the MB predate the AhS OC, the last
Tur of AhS to be written). But he disagrees because he feels it is
a question of what is filling, not what has chashivus.

Micha Berger                 None of us will leave this place alive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   All that is left to us is
Author: Widen Your Tent      to be as human as possible while we are here.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF          - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner