[Avodah] Of Elul, L'Dovid, and Golems

Rabbi Yehuda Spitz yspitz at ohr.edu
Sat Sep 3 15:04:56 PDT 2022

Dear Prof. Levine and Rabbi Berger,
Shavua Tov,
Thank you for your email and your he'aros.
Yet, it seems that perhaps you may have skimmed over some of the contents
of the article; as far as I am aware, almost everything you mentioned (and
more) is quite explicitly stated in the article.

For example, regarding L'Dovid having an earlier Midrashic connection to
Elul and the Yamim Noraim is discussed in the very first paragraph:
    - This custom is based on the *Midrash Shochar Tov*[2]
    <https://ohr.edu/4886#_edn2> that elucidates that various phrases
    of this chapter contain allusions to the holidays of the repentance
    period - *Rosh* *Hashana*, *Yom* *Kippur*, and *Sukkos*, as well as
    to the month of Elul itself[3]. [2] Midrash Shochar Tov ( Tehillim
    Ch. 27), which famously elucidates that " Ori" refers to Rosh Hashana,
    "Yishi" to Yom Kippur, and " Yitzpineini B'Sukkoh" on Sukkos.

The Postscript discusses the various Rabbanim and Poskim over the years who
*b'davka* did not / do not recite L'Dovid - between the Sanzers due to the
purported Sabbatean influence, the Vilna Gaon due to Tircha D'Tzibbura, and
many Germanic communities due to being a "new minhag;" - not to mention the
various Sefardic variations thereof.

Hence, I am a bit puzzled by your comment - "That said, R Yehudah Spitz may
be confusing two things."

Also, I would like to point out that one of your he'aros is not quite
accurate: The instructions given by the Shem Tov Kattan in reciting L'Dovid
*is* twice a day - "וצריך להזהר מאוד מאוד שיאמר זה המזמור ערב ובוקר דבר יום
ביומו מר"ח אלול עד אחר שמחת תורה...",
whereas as far as I am aware, Chemdas HaYamim only mentions reciting it
"B'shaas Selichos"...

So although the spread of the minhag of reciting L'Dovid may have had to do
with the popularity of the Chemdas Yamim, practically, history has since
disproven that that is the true source of the minhag, and certainly not
twice a day.
I hope this helps clarify.
I would suggest reading the first extensive chapter in Rabbi Dr. Elizer
Brodt's 'Likutei Eliezer' - quite an eye-opener.

Thank you again for writing.
A Gutt Voch and Kesiva V'Chasima Tova,
Yehuda Spitz