[Avodah] Child Convert

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 19:22:36 PDT 2022

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 04:18:00PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Where is the Darchei Noam here?
> Why do we rob this person of his freedom to choose?

We aren't depriving the bar/t mitzvah of their say as to whether to
accept ol mitzvos or not.

We are saying that since actions speak louder than words, we aren't giving
them a soapbox for their words. We cannot believe them over the tween's
actions. So, all it will do will create a halachic mess about how much
to doubt those actions.

But they are choosing to behaviorally be observant.

The real question is more the qabbalas ol mitzvos of someone we cannot
know of whether they're meqavel ol mitzvos or just socially Orthoprax. A
problem in general with geirus, until beis din or their eidim can read
minds...

Micha Berger                 You cannot propel yourself forward
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   by patting yourself on the back.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      -Anonymous
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF