[Avodah] Child Convert

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Aug 16 07:32:27 PDT 2022

On 16/8/22 09:38, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> A non-Jewish baby boy is adopted by Jewish parents and converted by
> the beit din.  As per halacha when he reaches 13 he is asked whether
> he wants to be Jewish. if he responds I’m not sure, what is his
> status at that time?  When he later makes up his mind, What is his
> status at that later  time? does it depend whether he decides to be
> Jewish or not? is there a retroactive impact?
As I understand it, he is not asked.  We simply observe whether he
continues to keep the mitzvos once he becomes an adult. As soon as he
does so, his conversion is confirmed and it's too late for him to change
his mind, even if he had no idea he could have done so.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”