[Avodah] Use of the word peshat in Moreh Nevuchim

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:13:55 PDT 2022

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022, 9:36 PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> RMB:
> >> Most would consider idiom as as part of peshat.
>
> > Agreed
>
> >> So, the Rambam's discussion of literal vs idiomatic wouldn't require
> use of
> >> the word "peshat".
>
> > Why wouldn't he refer to the idiomatic meaning as ''peshat'' ?
>
> He would!
>
> But he would also refer to non-idiomatic phrases as peshat. So, there is
> no reason in the Moreh to use the word. When all you talk about in
> parshanut
> is the differences between two classes of peshat, it is unsurprising that
> the need to say the word "peshat" doesn't come up....

ZL: I don't get it. The Moreh Nevuchim repeatedly makes the point that
certain words and/or pesukim should not be taken literally. I would expect
the Rambam to say, ''the literal meaning is not the peshat!" Isn't that the
way you and I would put it? He instead uses other constructions, such as,
''the meaning is,'' ''the idea is,'' etc. It's as if for some reason he
wants to avoid using the term ''peshat.''