[Avodah] Chidushim in sefer Chafetz Chaim

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:32:49 PDT 2022

As a direct response to the Walder affair, I am learning sefer Chafetz Chaim with a chevrusa with a specific agenda to work out the precise heterim/chiuyvim of reporting aveiros according to the CC. (I am not referring to criminal offences and the need to report to the police).
In the course of this, we've come across a fascinating diyuk made by the CC in a footnote to Lashon Hara clal 10 halacha 10. He says that only consistent transgression of mitzvos bein adam l'makom can take a Jew out of the category of 'amisecha' which changes much about the way we relate to him. But persistent transgression of mitzvos bein adam l'chaveiro does not, not matter how frequent or blatant. This is entirely based on a diyuk from R Yona in Shaarei Teshuva 221, which is very short and is about the halacha of reporting an offense against someone in order to make good the loss suffered.
I have now looked at this a few times and am still taken aback by both the implications of this diyuk and by the fact that it seeems, I think, to be poorly supported by the words of R Yona.
If true it means that someone can never lose the din of amisecha no matter how horrendous of consistent their treatment of other Jews, which is big 'chumra' in terms of ahavas yisroel, but equally a huge limitation being able to widely report offences.