[Avodah] Emerging Psak

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 11 05:22:13 PDT 2022

On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 03:29:13PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Ki miTzion tetze Torah, udvar Hashem miYrushalayim.
>
> That this change is happening should not surprise us one iota.
> That we are the ones privileged to *see* it happening should awe us to our
> cores.

I think you misunderstand that pasuq. I mean, I agree with your sentiment,
but this pasuq isn't a source for it.

Here's the full pasuq in Yashaiah (2:3 https://www.sefaria.org/Isaiah.2.3 ,
tr. mine:
    And many nations will come and say, "Left us go to Har Hashem, to
    the House of Elokei Yisrael. They He may educate us in His Paths and
    walk in his ways. Ki miTziyon..."

Note the repeated focus on the BHMQ, and the previous pasuq did nothing
but set that stage. Micha 4:2 is nearly identical (except for "goyim"
instead of "amim", calling to go up to Har Hashem) and the set-up in
pasuq 1 is "VeHayah be'acharis hayamim..."

This pasuq refer to Benei Noach coming to Israel to learn Devar Hashem
from the Jews. Not the teaching of Torah to Jews. So, we aren't seeing
these nevu'os happen yet.

Sidebar questions:

1- What was the role of Mikhah haNavi, given how many of his nevu'os were
in common with his contemporary, Yeshaiah?

2- What was the purpose of canonizing seifer Mikhah? The difference in
their messages can't simply be different audiences... They were saying
things different enough in content or implication ledoros for us to
need both books.

Micha Berger                 I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I have found myself, my work, and my God.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Helen Keller
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF