[Avodah] taking a stand?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 4 15:19:29 PDT 2022

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 10:38:11AM -0400, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
> RMB:
>> Going back to RDR's point... I think that the Rambam agrees that human
>> evil (as defined by the antonyms of chessed, mishpat and tzedaqah)
>> depends on ignorance. But not because he rejects yh"t vs. yh"r, but
>> because he feels the sufficient yedi'ah is what allows the yh"t to win.

> But then why the emphasis on acquiring good midos through repeated
> practice in 8 Perakim and H. Deos? Shouldn't he just say 'mashcheihu
> l'beis hamidrash'?

Also, on Avos 3:17, when he talks about it being better to give the same
amount of money to many people, than give it in a lump sum to one.

That's a great question. Still, that's the impression the Moreh leaves
you with -- liteally all throughout the first and third chulaqim,
examples already given.

And there is the oddity that the Rambam's term for what we call "Middos"
is "Dei'os". How the Rambam understands the dichotomy between knowledge
(yedi'ah) and emotional dispositions (dei'os) is not clear to me. Doubly
so when we realize that with Peirush haMishnayos and the Moreh we are
dealing with translations. But it seems that without that peace, I cannot
answer your question.

Micha Berger                 It's nice to be smart,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but it's smarter to be nice.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - R' Lazer Brody
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF