[Avodah] "Libi Omer Li".

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 5 11:14:51 PDT 2022

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 02:32:16AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Rabbi Asher Weiss often uses the phrase when describing a position which
> is not based on concrete sources, especially when it's due to new
> technology or circumstances. I've usually heard it referred to as halachic
> intuition.
> The bottom line is intuition may be simply the subconscious accumulation of
> a lifetime's worth of experiences

I think this is the whole reason why we need shimush talmidei chakhamim.
To jump-start halachic intution by immersion, mimetically picking it up
by apprenticing under someone whose example will get internalized.

To quote R Meir (Berekhos 47b):
   Acheirim omerim:
   Afilu qara veshanah velo shimeish TC,
   harei hu am ha'aretz.

To which R Hunah adds:
   Halakhah keAcheirim.

On Sukkah 22a it's a machloqes what the guy is:
   R Eliezer: am ha'aretz
   R Shmuel bar Nachmeini: bur
   R Yanai: Kuti
   R Acha bar Yaaqov: a magician (Rashi: achizas einayim)

The Maharal (Nesiv haTorah #15) specifically relates this to pesaq
and the dangers of pasqening from book knowledge alone.

The need for picking up this intution from your predecessor may also be
why sichas TC requires limud.

Which is a different focus than RJR's on how to develop it once a poseiq
has that starter seed. But they dovetail well together.

Micha Berger                 For a mitzvah is a lamp,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   And the Torah, its light.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - based on Mishlei 6:2
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF