[Avodah] 10th vs. 10th

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 23 11:08:52 PDT 2022

The Torah Temimah this week (in the commentary, Bamidbar 15:5, #14)
quotes Bekhoros 60a about how maaser beheimah is every tenth one to pass
under the rod (the rod isn't me'aqeiv),  and there is even some level
of qedushah to an animal accidenatally called "asiri" (although calling
which is the 10th also isn't me'aqeiv).

It struck me that there is a fundamental difference between maaser of
crops and of animals.

Maaser of crops is of a tenth, 1/10. Echad mei'eser.

Maaser beheimah is the tenth, the ordinal -- not just any 1/10 of the flock
(rounded down to the nearest whole animal) but the 10th in order. Ha'asiri

But now I'm wondering what is means.

Micha Berger                 The thought of happiness that comes from outside
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
Author: Widen Your Tent      the value of one's will and the freedom brought
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook