[Avodah] Ameilus BeTorah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 21 13:53:43 PDT 2022

On Fri, Jun 03, 2022 at 11:20:56AM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi wrote:
> Even when Yidden fulfill all the commandments - if we are not Ameilim
> BeTorah HKBH will ....
>
> It seems there must be a link between the Vilna Gaon's observation [opening
> of Even Sheleimah] that the purpose of the Torah is Tikkun HaMiddos and
> Ameilus BeTorah.

I see tiqun hammidos, but nothing about ameilus in Even Sheleimah until
paragrpah 39.

The Gra opens by telling you "All of Avodas Hashem rests on Tiqun haMiddos"
and only mentions being oseiq baTorah as a way to put the yh"r is snooze
mode.

In other words... I would have said that to the Gra, the purpose of life
and the Torah is Tiqon haMiddos, and ameilus is a means to that end.

Micha Berger                 It is a glorious thing to be indifferent to
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   suffering, but only to one's own suffering.
Author: Widen Your Tent                    -Robert Lynd, writer (1879-1949)
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF