[Avodah] It wasn't Matzah???

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jun 17 08:27:30 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 03:23:04AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 15/6/22 13:35, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> > OC 261:5 says that dough baked in the sun isn't called lechem, can't
> > be lechem oni, and thus not Matzah. Doesn't this rule out the batzeiq
> > that baked on the backs of our ancestors when rushing out of Egypt? Even
> > though this is one of the things Matzah commemorates?!

> Who says the dough was baked on their backs? ...

Targum Yonasan ac loc.

The problem one has to solve is how did they not have time to bake matzah
and yet didn't violate the issur chameitz.

The other answer I found, which I only learned now in response to your
qustion, is the Or haChaim's suggestion that they simply never stopped
working the dough.

But I think TY is the generally accepted answer, and one sould be
wondering how it would answer the oddity I raised. (Rather than personally
choosing the OhC's answer as a way to avoid the problem.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 When we are no longer able to change a situation
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   -- just think of an incurable disease such as
Author: Widen Your Tent      inoperable cancer -- we are challenged to change
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    ourselves.      - Victor Frankl (MSfM)