[Avodah] Minhag America

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jun 2 12:43:11 PDT 2022

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 11:04:20PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Is it fair to say that to a large extent Artscroll sets minhag America? (in
> its halacha publications and siddur instruction)

Sibah or mesoveiv?

Maybe a little of each? Something would be widely accepted before Artscroll
would give it as the only option. But their doing so would accelerate the
death of the other minhagim.

I have no doubt that if ch"v mashiach were to tarry long enough, a minhag
America would emerge. There is too much mixing of the old communities, at
least the Ashkenazi ones (American O culture is Ashkocentric). We cannot
maintain this reality of people following the minhagei avos since their
pre-War ancestors. Minhag Ashkenaz took centuries to emerge, and from that
the East European variant again took generations.

Today's world moves faster, but the role of precedent in the kelalei pesaq
will slow that down. Between the two, I have no idea how long it would
take for Minhag America to emerge -- again if ch"v the galus lasts long
enough for it to happen.

But yes, the availability of a publisher dominating the market would
shorten that time.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 47th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF             unity-how does it draw out one's soul?