[Avodah] diaspora psychology?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 19 14:11:15 PDT 2022

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 02:28:32AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> From the Ami Museum (formerly beit hatfutzot)

>> The Jews of Babylonia did not regard themselves as exiles and made attempts
>> to locate sites of Jewish historical importance in their vicinity that
>> would actually testify to their local roots..

>> Against that backdrop various traditions also evolved in Babylonia such as
>> the claim that the synagogue in Nehardea was built out of stones taken from
>> the Temple in Jerusalem...

Didn't Ashkenazim say the same about the Altneuschul (Old-New Synagogue,
or the Al-Tenai Synagogue) in Prague? That the tenai was was they would
take the stones back with them for bayis shelishi.

The very next day Mosaic Magazine sent me a link to this
https://en.qantara.de/node/47351
Djerba one-ups Bavel and Prague with a shul built from stones from
Bayis Rishon!

   Jewish pilgrimage to Tunisia
   Faith meets politics on Djerba

   A Jewish festival at the historic synagogue on Djerba island in Tunisia
   is often touted as a successful example of Jewish-Muslim coexistence.
   Yet, as Kerstin Knipp writes, political tensions still play a role

   For the first time in the more than two years since the COVID-19
   pandemic began, a large number of Jewish pilgrims to the North African
   country are currently taking part in religious festivities on the
   Tunisian island of Djerba. The pilgrimage, which traditionally attracts
   thousands of worshippers from all over the world, lasts for eight days.

   In 2020 and 2021, pilgrimages were cancelled due to the health
   crisis and access was very limited. But this year, Jewish community
   leader Perez Trabelsi is expecting between 4,000 and 5,000 visitors.
   Trabelsi also chairs the pilgrimage organising committee.

   The synagogue on Djerba is one of the oldest in Africa and a site
   of Jewish pilgrimage. This is because, as religious legend has it,
   the 2,500-year-old place of worship -- known as the Ghriba synagogue
   in Arabic -- was built using remnants of the first Jewish temple in
   Jerusalem. The Bible says the temple was destroyed by a Babylonian
   king who sent Jewish worshippers into exile. These refugees are said
   to have brought fragments of the temple with them to Djerba.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 33rd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Hod: LAG B'OMER - What is total
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF             submission to truth, and what results?