[Avodah] Wedding Attendance During Your Part of Sefira

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri May 13 03:24:50 PDT 2022

.
R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:

> The above says, "those who have a different minhag may certainly
> dance and celebrate together with the chasan and kallah."  This
> does not happen if the chason and kallah remain on their sides
> of the mechitzah throughout the entire wedding. Dare one suggest
> that not having the kallah come to the men's side of hall is not
> proper?

Certainly you can dare to suggest such a thing. But I don't think you can
properly reach such a conclusion simply from the source you cited. You are
interpreting the phrase "chasan and kallah" as "both chasan and kallah",
when the author's intention *might* have been "chasan and/or kallah".

The original source that RYL quoted had also said:

> Rav Belsky, zt"l (Shulchan Halevi 13:7) pointed out that one who
> keeps the second half of Sefira should not join in the dancing
> unless the chasan and kallah are present, since the allowance to
> participate is based on bringing joy to the bride and groom.

If you believe that the mitzvah of bringing joy to the bride and groom
applies only when both are together, then go right ahead and dare to
suggest that not having the kallah come to the men's side of the hall is
not proper. But realize that if you are correct, then until the point that
she arrives by the chasan, no one on either side of the mechitza has been
fulfilling this mitzvah.

Akiva Miller