[Avodah] When early shabbos is Rosh Chodesh

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Tue May 10 00:54:34 PDT 2022

R' Akiva Miller wrote:
> So we have three exceptions, where Kabalas Shabbos affect the nature of the
> day even for non-Shabbos halachos: tefila, benching, and meat/wine during
> the nine days. Can anyone think of other exceptions? And what do they have
> in common?

The answer for Yaaleh Vyavo is as I stated earlier. There is no general
chiyuv to say Yaaleh Vyavo on Rosh Chodesh. The chiyuv is to be mazkir me
ein hameora in the tefilos of Rosh Chodesh. The tefila of maariv late
Friday afternoon is NOT a tefilla of Rosh Chodesh, you already said the 4
tefilos of Rosh Chodesh. Therefore you don't say Yaaleh Vyavo in that
tefila. The same would apply to bentching. You say Yaaleh Vyavo in a seuda
of Rosh Chodesh. The meal late Friday afternoon is not considered a seuda
of Rosh Chodesh and therefore no Yaaleh Vyavo.

Regarding the kula on erev tisha bav, the same applies to any avel. An avel
sitting shiva does not observe aveilus in public once he is mekabel
shabbos. The explanation may be that this is unique to aveilus which is a
kiyum shebalev. This kiyum shebalev is in direct contradiction to the
essence of shabbos and therefore can't be imposed once shabbos has started.

[Email #2. -micha]

Another possible answer is the following. Tosefes Shabbos doesn't turn day
into night and therefore things like nidda, issurim, etc. are not affected
by tosefes shabbos. However, this only applies when it doesn't directly
contradict tosefes shabbos. When it directly contradicts the tosefes
shabbos something has to give we can't have tartei dsasrei. Saying yaale
Vyavo in the maariv of shabbos is a direct contradiction. If it's shabbos
it's not Rosh Chodesh and Vice versa. Therefore, in a situation of tartei
dsasrei something has to give so we don't say Yaaleh Vyavo. The same
applies to meat/wine during the 9 days. There is a Mitzva of kiddush on
wine on Friday night and a Mitzva of seuda. Not drinking wine and eating
meat is a direct contradiction to tosefes shabbos and therefore is
permitted.

In short, the exceptions are whenever it creates a direct contradiction to
Kedushas Shabbos creating a tartei dsasrei, in those cases shabbos takes
precedence.