[Avodah] More on TIDE

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 6 06:03:10 PDT 2022

On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 07:36:44PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> The following is from Rav Shimon Schwab's sefer Selected Speeches.
>> The relationship between Torah and derech eretz is very similar to
>> that which exists between the guf and the neshamah, the body and the
>> soul...

This is very similar to how R YY Weinberg describes TiDE in his essay in
Harav Shimshon Rephael Hirsch: Mishnaso veShitaso:
    The Torah, according to Rav Hirsch, is the force that gives
    form. Form, to Aristotle's thought, means a thing's essential nature
    in distinction to the substance from which it is embodied. Derech
    Eretz is merely the matter on which Torah works.

I see either the same essay or a similar one appeared in Dei'os vol 9 (1959)
and is available at
https://www.daat.ac.il/he-il/kitveyet/deot/zarmey_yahadut/veinberg-mishnato.htm

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Today is the 20th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   2 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Yesod sheb'Tifferes: What role does harmony
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 play in maintaining relationships?