[Avodah] The Tattoo Taboo and Permanent Make-Up Too

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu May 5 15:36:25 PDT 2022

>From https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/5195

[https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/494286688/Ohr-Somayach-Logo-150sq_bigger.jpg]<https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/5195>
The Tattoo Taboo and Permanent Make-Up Too « Insights into Halacha - Ohr Somayach<https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/5195>
Jews and Tattoos. There is a widespread myth, especially among secular American Jews, that a Jew with a tattoo may not be buried in a Jewish cemetery. This prevalent belief, whose origin possibly lies with Jewish Bubbies wanting to ensure that their grandchildren did not stray too far from the proper path, is actually a common misconception without basis in Jewish law.
ohr.edu
As usual Rabbi Yehuda Spitz examines this topic in great detail.

>From the beginning of the article:
Jews and Tattoos

There is a widespread myth, especially among secular American Jews, that a Jew with a tattoo may not be buried in a Jewish cemetery.[1]<https://ohr.edu/5195#_edn1> This prevalent belief, whose origin possibly lies with Jewish Bubbies wanting to ensure that their grandchildren did not stray too far from the proper path, is actually a common misconception without basis in Jewish law.

One who gets tattooed has quite definitively committed a grave sin of Biblical magnitude, especially as its roots lie in idolatry and paganism.[2]<https://ohr.edu/5195#_edn2> However, practically, a Jewish burial is not dependant on whether or not one violated Torah Law, and tattooing is no different in this matter than violating other severe Biblical prohibitions.

This erroneous belief was personally hammered home to this author several years back, when my chavrusa, the indefatigable Rabbi Jeff Seidel, requested our hosting several secular youth for a Rosh Hashana meal. One stood out in particular, due both to his gargantuan buff size, as well as his every movement screaming military. This former U.S. soldier, in Jerusalem discovering his roots after returning from a tour of duty in Afghanistan, sported a few tattoos. Our then four-year old daughter stared fascinated at the artwork along his arms and asked innocently why he had colored on himself. He replied, (as he dipped his challah into sugar),[3]<https://ohr.edu/5195#_edn3> that it was a “mistake”, but she shouldn’t worry because he was going to get them taken off since he wished to be buried in a Jewish cemetery.[4]<https://ohr.edu/5195#_edn4>

<snip>

To sum up the Torah perspective on the matter, I quote the words of mv”r Rabbi Yonason Wiener in a related interview with the Jerusalem Post:[20]<https://ohr.edu/5195#_edn20> “The ancient Greeks worshipped their bodies and tried to annihilate the small Jewish minority who saw man as more than muscle and flesh. This was a battle of superficiality against spiritually. Tattooing represents the Greek ideal that beauty is skin deep. We won the battle of Chanuka but the war continues to this day. The Jewish religion is more than skin deep!!”

Please see the entire article for much more.

Yitzchok Levine