[Avodah] More on TIDE

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu May 5 12:36:44 PDT 2022

The following is from Rav Shimon Schwab's sefer Selected Speeches.

The relationship between Torah and derech eretz is very similar to
that which exists between the guf and the neshamah, the body and the
soul. The Torah is the soul, without which we cannot live. But it pleased
Hashem to place the soul into our body. Like a lamp, the soul's light is to
penetrate all the innermost chambers of the body. . Our body has to be
 fed and groomed and clothed because most of our mitzvos are carried
out by it. Yet the body is temporary; it came from the dust and goes back
 to the dust. While the body houses the neshamah it acts out the derech
eretz of human behavior; and when the neshamah leaves it, the body
disintegrates. The neshamah is the essential man and lives forever.

Selected Speeches, page 243

Yitzchok Levine