[Avodah] Gluten Free During Pesach

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:07:41 PDT 2022

.
R' Meir G Rabi wrote:

> I find it V difficult to believe that you have personally seen
> [presumably in the USA] Certified Gluten Free foods which
> contain oats. Is it possible that they were oats that had the
> gluten removed? Would be indebted if you might send a pic.

Yes, what I've seen is in the USA. But from the wonders of the internet,
you might be able to see some of these items too.

I couldn't remember the brand name at first, but it comes up pretty easily
when searching either Amazon or Google for "gluten free oat bread". (Of
course, search engines being what they are, the results also show gluten
free breads which lack oats, and oat breads which aren't gluten-free.)

The one I had purchased a few years ago is from "Katz Gluten Free". I've
seen it in many Jewish groceries, and you can see it also at
www.katzglutenfree.com. The package says it is "Certified (GF) Gluten
Free", OU Pareve. It also has a hechsher from Rabbi Yuda Yerachmiel Halevi
Gruber, and next to his hechsher it says "Birkaso Hamotzi". (Some other
products might be shehakol.) On the website, their FAQ page says "All our
Oat products contain 50%+ oat flour in the GF flour mix and are Hamotzei."

Another kosher one (hechsher of Rabbi Yechiel Babad) that I see on Google
is "Baum's Gluten Free Oat Challah Bread".

I have no idea whether these are regular oat flour which had the gluten
removed, or whether they are from a particular strain or variety of oats
that has no gluten to begin with.

There are others brands too, especially if you want to include those that
don't claim to be kosher.

Akiva Miller