[Avodah] Maharsha - YeGiAh KaPeCha Ki Tov - The Superior System by which to Serve HKBH

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 00:03:14 PDT 2022

We all take risks. Even getting in the car for a drive to the shops or
walking along the street carries some risk. So risks fall into a spectrum
and we all choose the level of risk we consider acceptable or not. We’ll
walk about in the street but perhaps not in the dark of night or in certain
areas. Some will make their investment of time or money based upon research
they have performed. Others may prefer to avoid the risk.

The degree of risk one accepts and the extent of research one performs,
says much about the person including the confidence they have in themselves.

When acting on behalf of others, the calculation becomes a little more
complicated because we need to know how much risk those we represent are
willing to accept.

As loyal Yidden, we do not act on behalf of HKBH, nor are we His employees.
Rather, we are free agents who are commanded to live our lives according to
HKBH’s guidelines as we understand them.

Accordingly, we must ask, is it better as Gd fearing Yidden to ensure we
avoid as much risk as tolerable and live by the motto: “What’s the big deal
if we don’t eat these foods, do you realise they might not be kosher or
Kosher LePesach?  What’s the big deal if we don’t wear these clothes, do
you realise they may be sha’atnez? There is plenty of 100% Kosher food to
eat, we can easily manage without cola drinks during Pesach, and there are
plenty of clothes that are free of the risk of sha’atnerz.”

Or is it superior to take the approach that we research, examine and
analyse every detail attempting to determine if this is in fact prohibited
or permitted.

Which is the greater?

The Maharsha [Chullin 44:] explains that as great as is he who fears HKBH,
and errs on the side of caution to scrupulously avoid any risk of violating
the Divine Will, he who undertakes to study, research and analyse in order
to determine the Divine Will, to see if it is permitted or not, and accept
that determination, is superior to the former.