[Avodah] ​Chamets - Whiskey & Vinegar​ - Correction to my maths and a problem for the OU

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:03:59 PDT 2022

The prohibition of owning Chamets applies if within any container there is
a Kezayis of Chamets. In the case of a dilution of 95%, there will be a
Kezayis [let?s say 200ml] of vinegar in a container larger than 2,600ml.
I believe it ought to be 4 litres - 95% is 1:20 = 200:4000

If only half of the Kezayis of vinegar is Chamets, there will be a Kezayis
in a container of more than 8,000ml.

And we should note that the smallest commercial containers are 25 litres.
The larger are 1000 litres and tankers or shipping containers far larger.

According to the OU's argument, these large containers, if owned by Yidden,
are Assur.
We could probably trace them if we wanted to.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837