[Avodah] Triage

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 18 16:41:53 PDT 2022

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 10:57:50AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> What would halacha say about this triage?:
>
> The Maryland center is one of several transplant centers that had declined
> to list Mr. Bennett for the chance to receive a human heart because he
> had failed to comply with doctors' orders and attend follow-up visits,

I used to semi-regularly get lifts into the city with a nurse who worked
in a heart and lung transplant unit. And we often entertained ourselves
during the trip discussing some of the more interesting conversations
she had with R Dr Moshe David Tendler z"l about her work.

In numerous real-life cases, RMDT supported this kind of triage.

Sadder are cases where the patient is less compliant not because they
are unwilling, but because they aren't as bright as average. Or lack a
supportive family who could help out.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 32nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Hod: What type of submission
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF               really results in dominating others?