[Avodah] Is it permissible to make a wedding on Lag B?Omer at night?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 18 11:41:44 PDT 2022

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 12:18:09PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

>> The Mishnah Berurah (493:11) writes that according to Ashkenazic
>> tradition, some are lenient and allow haircuts the night of Lag B'omer,
>> but the custom is to not permit weddings at night. Nonetheless, many
>> poskim maintain that we do not follow this stringency.

The CC provides two sources that are lenient about the night of Lag
baOmer, both from Western Europe.(See MB s"q 15 and Be'eir Heitiev s"q 3,
or my post from last week
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol40/v40n033.shtml#06 .) When he says
Ashkenazic tradition, I believe he does NOT mean East Europeans.

Even though by his day chassidim were already making celebrations in
Rashb"i's memory the night of Lag baOmer.

I think this could be significant, because the Rama uses the language
"bemedinos eilu" when saying the mourning ends in the morning. He could
be specifically describing East European minhagim.

In any case, the MB s"q 11 which the OU page cites says that even the
some who are lenient are only lenient WRT haircuts.

>>                                                        Igros Moshe (OC
>> 1:159) and Sridei Aish (1:50) both write that a wedding may be made the
>> night of Lag B'omer. The prevalent custom is that one may get married
>> on the night of Lag B'Omer.

I don't know about the Seridei Eish, but the IM's reasoning is specific to
weddings. His position is consistent with the Rama's.

It is quite difficult to justify Sepharadim or East Europeans who daven
Ashkenaz (as opposed to Chassidish "Sfard" or Nusach Ari) attending Lag
baOmer bonfires with music, etc... Seems to be a break from minhag that
only hit the "Litvishe" yeshivos in the past couple of decades.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 32nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Hod: What type of submission
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF               really results in dominating others?