[Avodah] Can one kasher plastic bowls and utensils for Pesach?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 29 10:04:22 PDT 2022

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:25:32PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
>     Q. Can one kasher plastic bowls and utensils for Pesach?
>                                                     Many in America have
>     the minhag to follow Igros Moshe and not to kasher plastic. However,
>     if one does not know if that is their minhag, it is the position of
>     the OU poskim that one may be lenient if there is a need.

Speaking balebatishly for a minute... Anyone who has seen how rapidly
plastic picks up indelible stains really has a hard time understanding
where there is room to be choleiq with RMF. The rate of beli'ah is
experimentally verifiable to be quite high. Potentially comparable
to Chazal era pottery, although I cannot be sure since I never served
on pottery the way they made a keli cheres. Definitely possible, and
certainly at least similar, in terms of RMF pasqening lechumera because
we just don't know.

Micha Berger                 Be happy not because everything is good,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but because you can see the good side
Author: Widen Your Tent      of everything.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF