[Avodah] terminology

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 29 08:27:55 PDT 2022

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 11:49:42AM +0300, Danny Schoemann via Avodah wrote:
>> what terms besides baal nefesh and yirei shamayim would you expect to be
>> used for a higher level of observance rhan mikar hadin(al taharat hakodesh?
>> others?)

> IIRC, I've seen these:
> HaMedakdekim (b'Mitzvos)
> HeMehadrin

Unlike the two in RJR's original email, this term is more vague.

Both baal nefesh and yerei Shamayim are sur meira motivations. One
because of the noun "nefesh" and the other because of the "yarei"
(or plural yir'ei).

The baal nefesh is someone looking to be master of his nefesh. Nefesh
being the more gashmi aspects of the soul. So, someone looking to
control taavos.

A yarei Shamayim is by default (acc to Mesilas Yesharim) yir'as hacheit.
Which, in contrast to yir'as ha'onesh, is fear of sin itself. Not for
the consequences, but because one wants to have a healthy relationship
with and to obey the One in shamayim.

(Actually, in Widen Your Tent sec 8.4, I argue that yiras Shamayim
is soething more vague than yir'as Hashem. The latter invokes Hashem
directly. Whereas yiras Shamayim is about having a *higher* ideal,
and only by implication that for us that means Hashem's ideal. So that
yir'as shamayim would be fear of falling short of one's ideals, closer
to idealism but phrased in the negative. Although again, the ideal ideal
to live by is the one Hashem describes in the Torah.)

Whereas hiddur just means doing the mitzvah better. Could be an asei
tov, but needn't be.

> (HaChareidim LiDvar HaShem)

I haven't seen this one in primary sources.

Micha Berger                 Man is capable of changing the world for the
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   better if possible, and of changing himself for
Author: Widen Your Tent      the better if necessary.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF          - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning