[Avodah] Kashrus and Housekeepers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 28 07:05:58 PST 2022

On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 07:45:20PM -0500, Harry Maryles wrote:
> I don't think this qualifies. There's also the fact that there is a
> sort of Yotze V'Nichnas hasgacha going on. The housekeeper knows the
> homeowner can show up at any minute and won't do anything for fear of
> losing her job.

The whole point of basar ne'elam min ha'ayin is that yotzei venichnas is
not sufficient for meat that isn't sealed. So, the Rama in YD 63:2 says
that we are meiqil on BNMhA, if and only if it was found where you left
it. The AhS se'if 2 affirms that we are nohagim like the Rama. (Adding
that we are also lenient in the not applicable case where a "kusi"
has meat in a town where all the meat in town is kosher.)

And Sepharadim have bigger problems than the AhS's "we, as the BY
(sei'f 1) is machmir unless you recognize the piece or have a siman.

Which is why I asked about the housekeeper cleaning the refrigerator or
freezer, because then the meat is moved.

Micha Berger                 When you come to a place of darkness,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
Author: Widen Your Tent      You light a candle.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF      - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l

> HM
> Sent from my iPhone, Shirley.

Dr. Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you cant be serious
Rumack: I am serious... and dont call me Shirley.

Rumack: I wont deceive you, Mr. Striker. We're running out of time.
Striker: Surely there must be something you can do.
Rumack: I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!