[Avodah] Kashrus and Housekeepers

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Sun Feb 27 16:15:49 PST 2022

At 06:16 PM 2/27/2022, Micha Berger wrote:
>Apropos of another conversation:
>
>In one's own house, but with a housekeeper who is allowed to rearrange
>your refrigerator freezer (she cleans them, after al), how do you avoid
>basar ne'elam min ha'ayin issues?
>
>Tir'u baTov!
>-Micha

Simple, I watch her while she cleans the freezer. In addition, if you
buy and freeze factory packaged meat and poultry, then this prevents
any problems, I would think.

There is another problem that I encountered a few weeks ago. I went
shopping while my cleaning lady was in my house. When I came home, I
saw a pot of mine with 3 eggs in it that she had cooked! When I
confronted her about this, and she told me in Spanish (which her
phone translated into English),  that she did not have time to
prepare lunch before she came to work for me. I told her in no
uncertain terms that she was not to ever cook anything and that I
would give her lunch if she did not bring her own.

I asked a Rav and was told that I had to kasher the pot due to bishul akum.

When she brings her own lunch, she eats it at the table with paper
towels under her food.

YL

PS.  I will be getting a home health aide starting on Tuesday.  I
will make it very clear to this person they are not to cook anything
in my home.