[Avodah] Corners of the Chatzeir

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 11 12:30:31 PST 2022

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 07:45:25PM -0500, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Were there amudim at the corners of the chatzeir?
> If one of the back's 10 pillars was in the corner, i.e. 0 amos from the
> corner, then the second is at 5 amos, the 3rd at 10... and the 10th at
> 45 amost from that first corner. Not yet at the second corner.

And yet if the corners were at a diagonal from a pillar 2-1/2 amos from
the corner to another 2-1/2 amost from the other corner, there would
have been too much fabric. The diagonal corner would be appx. 3.54 amos,
instead of 5 amos. But the fabric for each side was the same as the
length of the side. As though we did a corner (2.5*2) not the hypoteneus
(2.5*sqrt(2)).

Someone emailed me the privately that he saw in
Machat shel Yad al HaTorah by R Yitzchak Dovid Frankel a thought by
R Dov Kramer at <https://www.aishdas.org/ta/5765/terumah.pdf>. (IOW,
a thought by a former chavrusah of mine hosted on tech I manage. But
I needed someone else to point it out to me.)

RDK offers some possibilities, see there. He favors the solution of
the Beraisa deMelekhes haMishkan (5:3). It suggests that there were
a sort of curtain rod hung on the pillar that held the curtain out
2.5 amos on either side. Allowing for right-angle corners and no
pillar in the corner.

As already noted, the Mishkan coffee table book's picture has the
same basic theme, siwth a slight variation.

I am unsatisfied with the assumption of a whole mechanism that isn't
mentioned in the Torah.

RDK gives his problems with the other suggestions. See there.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 "The worst thing that can happen to a
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   person is to remain asleep and untamed."
Author: Widen Your Tent             - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot