[Avodah] On the Ephod

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 23:08:18 PST 2022

> I don’t know anyone else who seriously tries to dissect the “Libi Omer Li”.
 ———-
Rabbi Asher Weiss often uses the phrase when describing a position which is not based on concrete sources, especially when it’s due to new technology or circumstances.  I’ve usually heard it referred to as halachic intuition.
If one looks outside the Yeshiva they’ll find that this is a subject of much study in the Academy. Here’s one example what their tons more. https://www.livescience.com/54825-scientists-measure-intuition.html

The bottom line is intuition may be simply the subconscious accumulation of a lifetime‘s worth of experiences.

My own footnote is that I believe it is on this basis that those who say anybody who has seen anything outside the Torah  world is not fit to be a posek  because their intuition has been affected by outside sources. Of course, I would argue just the opposite but that’s for another time.

Kt
Joel rich