[Avodah] shir hamaalot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Feb 5 16:18:54 PST 2022

On 1/2/22 22:52, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> MB (3:11) points out that shir hamaalot is said before birchat hamazon
> on Shabbat (and non-tachanun days) in place of al naharot bavel. So how
> did the replacement become fixed and the original ISTM become abandoned?

Among whom has it been abandoned?   I'm not aware of this abandonment,
or how widespread it is.  Of course nowadays there are a lot of people
who only ever bench on Shabbos and Yomtov or at a wedding or such event,
so they would always say shir hamaalos.

I recently realised that since the only occasions on which I generally
say a whole sefer of tehillim are on Shabbos/Yomtov, I don't recall ever
saying the weekday version of the yehi ratzon afterward.  This only came
to my attention because I was in a minyan whose custom is to say the
yehi ratzon after saying any amount of tehillim, and I had no idea what
they were saying.  So nahara nahara upashteih.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 2022