[Avodah] For he is his property

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Jan 29 22:16:34 PST 2022

On 28/1/22 07:31, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> We often try to avoid translating "eved" as "slave". We often prefer
> terms like "servant" or "long-term employee", because "slave" tends to
> objectify a person, it removes his humanity. We point out the many
> obligations that the baal has towards his eved, and how the Torah
> stresses the care that the baal must put into this relationship.

I don't know who is this "we" who avoids translating the word correctly.
  An eved kena'ani *is* a slave.  And as far as I know his owner has no
obligations to him whatsoever, not even the obligation to feed him after
having put in a hard day's work picking his cotton. Of course he is not
entitled to murder him, as for instance Roman law allowed, but Southern
USA slave-owners were not entitled to murder their slaves either, and in
principle they could be hanged for it, though I doubt it ever happened
in practice.

RSRH is merely saying that slavery doesn't make someone less human; most
slave-owning societies agreed with that, including the Southern USA, and
even Rome.  The only society I'm aware of that actually thought of
slaves as less than human is the Vikings; I'm not sure how they
explained it, but somehow upon becoming enslaved a person was thought to
lose whatever it is that makes humans human.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 2022