[Avodah] Bringing Joy to the Chosson and Kallah

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 19:40:17 PST 2022

In Avodah V40n7, RDrYL questioned an explanation quoted *b'sheim* RYB *z'l'*
:
>> Rav Belsky explains that the main obligation to bring joy to the
*chosson* and *kallah* is by smiling and demonstrating by your countenance
and actions that you believe the *chosson* and *kallah* made an excellent
decision. You should go over to the *chosson* and *kallah* and bless them,
compliment them on their appearance, and commend them on making such a wise
decision to marry their spouse. <<
> Given that many Orthodox weddings today have very high mechitzahs, and
the men and women are, of course,  on separate sides of this partition,
"How is a man supposed to speak to the Kallah, and how is a woman supposed
to speak to the Chasson?" <
At nearly every *chas'nah* I've attended, including my own, the *chasan
v'chalah* are together at least a few times -- those times may include (a)
when the *chasan* makes "hamotzi"; (b) when the men are dancing in front of
them; and (c) at Bircas haMazon/*sheva b'rachos*.  (They also are together
immediately after the *chuppah*, and if I care to, I try to be
*m'sameiach* them
together then, but that's tangential to my support of the explanation
quoted *b'sheim* Rav Belsky.)