[Avodah] Machtzit hashekel

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:27:25 PDT 2022

J’ve heard R’ H Schacter say on a number of occasions that if the budget
for the communal sacrifices in the beit hamikdash was projected to exceed
the sum collected with the machzit hashekel, then the amount of the
“machzit” was increased. Anyone know the source for this?

NOTE: Since I wrote this on the blog, I found the answer - The source on
the greater amount is from the ravad (and kesef mishna) on rambam hilchot
shkalim 1:6.  I'm not sure the rambam would agree

see also the ramban on shmot 30:12 who seems to have a somewhat parallel
approach - the karbanot were a somewhat different shekel collection

kt

Joel rich