[Avodah] haminhag pashut?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 21 11:26:14 PST 2021

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 03:53:00AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I've noticed that sometimes the Aruch Hashulchan will say "haminhag
> pashut" and sometimes "Kdamnuni (it appears to me) haminhag." I wonder
> what his algorithm was for these categorizations.

They seem different on a literal level:
1- a widespread minhag (haminhag hapashut),
vs
2- a situation that comes up rarely enough that RYME can only say what
seems to him to be what we are noheig to do in that siuation.

So I am unclear why you would ask for an algorithm for choosing them.
The words describe different situations.

Micha Berger                 The waste of time is the most extravagant
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   of all expense.
Author: Widen Your Tent                              -Theophrastus
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF