[Avodah] ev mlachim byad hashem

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 02:46:51 PST 2021

.
R' Joel Rich asked:
> In terms of practical application, does lev mlachim byad hashem have an
> impact on our actions or is it still we do our hishtadlut and HKBH
controls
> the results?

Could you please rephrase the question? I don't see any conflict or
difference between the reisha and the seifa. "lev mlachim byad hashem"
concerns the melech, and "we do our hishtadlut" concerns the citizens.
(And, of course, HKBH will control the results whether we do our hishtadlut
or not.)

Perhaps you are suggesting that "lev mlachim byad hashem" is telling me
*not* to vote, because Hashem will control everything anyway? If that's the
hava mina, then this is merely one of many examples where one could ask
whether hishtadlus is required. If I'm not going to bother voting because
Hashem will direct the government anyway, then I should also not bother to
go to work because Hashem already decided my salary on Rosh Hashana.

Akiva Miller