[Avodah] Prayer in Temple Times

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 24 12:46:24 PST 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 03:18:35PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Davening was much shorter then than today.  Even later it was shorter. See
> <http://www.hakirah.org/Vol14Zelcer.pdf> Shemoneh Esreh in Eretz Yisrael ca.
> 220-250 CE

But both data points are in EY. Our siddurim derive from Rav Amram
Gaon. Could be EY vs Bavel, rather than then vs now. Or, maybe just R
Amram Gaon's siddur was longer, a one-off that became the norm.

In any case, Chassidim haRishonim, during bayis Sheini, took an hour
to say that shorter Shemoneh Esrei.

So, maybe we are using more words to compensate our inability to
find as much meaning in fewer words?

Micha Berger                 A sick person never rejects a healing procedure
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   as "unbefitting." Why, then, do we care what
Author: Widen Your Tent      other people think when dealing with spiritual
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    matters?              - Rav Yisrael Salanter