[Avodah] ger katan

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 24 10:30:33 PST 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 03:51:50AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I was looking at ger katan and thinking that he must be patur from 7
> mitzvot for, if not, conversion to Judaism would be a case of going to
> kedusha kala (if chayav as a ben noach but not as a jew).

A qatan is patur because of being a qatan.

But a normal case of geirus would be, if your given is true. Why do you
only ask by geir qatan? And in any case, I don't see the qedushah kalah
you describe being chal yet.

But I am not sure about your assumption. R Papa asks, "Mi ika midi
sheliYisrael shari ule'oveid kokhavim assur?!" (Chullin 33a)

While there are dinim in 7MBN that end up lequlah because of their
interaction with the dinim of Beris Sinai, are Jews peturim from any of
the 7 mitzvos?

To explain my "while": Shechitah defines the end of the animal WRT
Jews. So, if it is still moving, the animal's meat would be eiver min
hachai for non-Jews, but kosher for Jews. Comes up in discussions of
Bereishis Rabba 84:7, quoted by Rashi on the first pasuq of this week's
parashah, Vayeishev. But see the gemara in Chullin for more.

Micha Berger                 The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF